We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has affected virtually every aspect of our lives. Rest assured that we at Creston Veterinary Hospital are doing what we can to keep our team safe and healthy as well as continue to provide care for your pets. Here is what you need to know.
#1: Rely on reputable sources for current COVID-19 information
While you can turn to Facebook for insider information on where to find toilet paper, avoid using social media as your main source about COVID-19. Instead, rely on major animal and human health organizations for the most current, accurate research about this evolving situation. A few reputable sources include:
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Organization for Animal Health (OIE)
#2: There is no evidence to indicate pets can become ill with COVID-19
A major veterinary diagnostic laboratory tested thousands of canine and feline samples for COVID-19 when validating a veterinary test, but found no positive results. Additionally, the CDC and WHO have received zero reports of a pet who was ill from COVID-19. Based on the current evidence, health officials have declared there is no indication that pets can become sick from COVID-19. So, your coughing dog is likely not sick with COVID-19, but another disease, such as kennel cough, congestive heart failure, or a collapsing trachea.
#3: We’re taking every precaution to protect you and our team while still keeping your pet healthy
As a vital part of the health care community, we will remain open and continue to provide important medical care for your pet. As this situation continues to unfold, we have made various protocol changes and may continue to make changes as necessary. Here are a few things that are currently in place:
- Limited services — We have limited our services to urgent and emergent care only for the time being.
- Change of hours — We have changed our hours to Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. We are now closed on Saturday and Sunday.
- Increased sanitation — We have increased our already rigorous sanitation routines, and are more frequently wiping down doorknobs, counters, and commonly used items.
You can also read more about what we’ve implemented here.
This community has been so understanding and incredible. We will get through this together. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.